Tyler Basu is a Content Funnel expert, Podcast Host and Digital Magazine Publisher. In 2013, Tyler launched his first podcast, Chatting With Champions. In the process of interviewing over 100 successful entrepreneurs for his show, he developed a fascination for online business and digital publishing. By 2015, Tyler had written and published several books on Amazon, including the #1 Amazon Bestseller Lifestyle Business Blueprint.
Tyler left the real estate industry in 2015 to become the Publisher & Editor of Lifestyle Business Magazine, a digital magazine for lifestyle entrepreneurs. Tyler also hosts the Lifestyle Business Magazine Podcast. When he’s not interviewing guests or writing articles for his magazine, he’s busy helping other entrepreneurs and organizations implement content marketing strategies to attract and retain their ideal customers.
During this presentation, Tyler will show you how to monetize your blog by creating a content funnel that converts your blog visitors into paying customers/clients for your business.
What You Will Learn?
- 3 ways to monetize your blog
- Definition of content marketing
- How to create a content funnel that attracts & convert your ideal customers/clients
- Examples of content funnels that generate sales
How To Monetize Your Blog
The best way to monetize your blog is to sell something. There are 3 things you can sell on your blog:
- Services (Freelancers / Consultants)
- Eyeballs / Traffic (Sell Ads / Use Affiliate links)
Are you a Blogger or a Content Marketer?
The real definition of a blogger… Someone who writes online
Content Marketing Defined
“Content marketing is the marketing and business process for creating and disturbing valuable and compelling content to attract, acquire and engage clearly defined and understood target audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action” – Joe Pulizzi, Founder of Content Marketing Institute
A blogger creates content because they want to share their thoughts, opinions, and stories… A content marketer creates content to help a specific target audience, earn their trust, and build a relationship that eventually results in a sale
5 Steps to Create A content Funnel That Converts Visitors Into Paying Clients/Customers
Step 1: Identify a specific target audience:
- If you try to attract everyone, you will attract no one.
- Who is your ideal client?
- Describe them in detail
- Demographics (age, gender, income, education, etc)
- Psychographics ( motivators, behaviors, and beliefs )
- Speak directly to these customers
Step 2: Identify a pain point or struggle
- What does your ideal client need help with?
- What are they struggling with?
- What results do they want to achieve?
- What information are they searching for?
- What questions are they asking online?
2 ways to find pain points:
Questions & complaints reveal pain points (aka opportunities)
- Market Research:
- Groups on social media
- Questions on Quora.com
- Product reviews on Amazon
- Comments on blogs
- Feedback Loop:
- Groups on social media
- Questions to customer support
- Responses from email list
- Consultation & discovery calls
Step 3: Create an EPIC piece of content that is actually helpful
- Blog post, podcast, or video
- Don’t hold back
- Share your best advice
- Long is better than short
- Include research/stats/quotes from credible sources
- Worthy of comments, shares & bookmarks
- Headline promises solution to a problem
Step 4: Include a content upgrade to build your email list (a lead magnet)
- A free resource in exchange for emails
- Lead magnet ideas:
- Audio or video training
- Cheat sheet / checklist / template
- Resource guide
Step 5: Guide your email subscribers through a sales process
- People don’t magically become your customers. You must guide them through the sales process.
- No sales = no revenue = no business
- Make them an offer they can’t refuse
Guide them through a sales process:
Don’t sell me something… solve me something…
- Invite them to a webinar
- Offer a free coaching session or consultation
- Link to sales page in your email
- Offer a free trial
Content Funnel Examples:
- Target audience: Online course creators
- Pain point: Not knowing what to charge for their course
- Solution: In-depth guide to course pricing
- Content upgrade: Course pricing worksheet
- Email CTA: Set up free account with Thinkific
- Product for sale: Software to create & sell online courses
- Target audience: Entrepreneurs
- Pain point: Not enough exposure/clients from social media
- Solution: In-depth guide to marketing on Instagram
- Content upgrade: Instagram cheatsheet
- Email CTA: Invitation to webinar
- Product for sale: Instagram marketing course
- Target audience: Entrepreneurs
- Pain point: Not getting enough clients
- Solution: Automated sales funnel
- Content upgrade: Email swipe copy
- Email CTA: Link to video sales letter
- Product for sale: Membership site ( business training )
Have your ever spent money to promote your free content?
It’s like throwing your money down the drain faster than you can count it! UNLESS, you have a way to measure your RIO and collect the customers information. When every piece of content is part of a funnel, there is a measurable ROI. You need to then put them through a sales process.
Every Step Has A Conversion Rate:
- Free Content – 100 people
- Content Upgrade – 30 people
- Email List – 10 people
- Sales Process
- Customer/Clients – 1 person
How much is one customer /client worth to your business?
When you know how much a new client is worth, you know how much you can spend to promote your content.
A Quick Review
- How to turn blog visitors into clients/customers:
- Identify a specific target audience
- Identify a pain point or struggle
- Create an EPIC piece of content
- Include a content upgrade (email opt-in)
- Guide them through a sales process