A Brief Bio of Matt Astifan
- Studied FILM and then somehow landed in Real Estate where I spent a year getting into over $30,000 of debt
- Started selling Websites and SEO at the age of 24… Kinda figured out this Internet marketing stuff from there.
- Spent last 7+ years studying Social Media and created the Social Media Director Certification and the new INSTANT Social Media Profits program
- Turned a small 4 person Mastermind into the largest Internet Marketing Meetup on meetup.com
Why This Is Important to You NOW?
- The cost of getting involved in Social Media marketing is going through the roof.
- The gold rush of social media was 5 years ago. Costs will keeping going up. The longer you wait, the more expensive it will be.
- Social Media can be a huge waste of time if you don’t have the right strategy or plan.
- Most Social Media campaigns you see are spammy, over-salesy and uncool.
- Older audiences are online now
4 Steps to Social Media Profits
- #1 Grow audience
- #2 Engaging audience
- #3 Convert audience
- #4 Influencing audience
STEP #1 Grow Your Audience
- How Do You Get Started?
- How Much Should You Budget? Free VS Paid
- What Platforms Should You Use?
Make People *Think* You’re Cool
- You can create a brand with a cool photo or logo
- People want to be socially acquainted with people
- Control the way you portray yourself online
- Get a really good headshot
- A really good professional photo maybe $300 max
- People want to see your face
- Helps grow your authority / influence
- Get a new photo every 6 months/year
- Get a good logo $600
- Invest in things that will build your brand
Fun with Math
- Advertising costs (suggested $500 month to start)
- Budget is based on targets and estimated costs:
- 1000 new Likes per month at $0.25-%0.50 per Like = $10/day
- 30 new Leads (Fans Only ads) per month at $5 per Lead = $5/day
- Page Post Engagement Ads ($1/day per 1000 fans) = $1-$2/day
- Budgets can be reallocated, and scaled up or down, based on ad performance
Get specific about what kind of audience you want
- It’s better to only have only 1000 followers of the right people that 1,000,000 followers of just anyone.
- It’s not about getting lots of fans. It’s about attracting enough of the right people and converting them into customers
- 1000 emails list = $1000 monthly
- Create a very focused email list
- Bigger list = more expense
- The Trick To Making It Work…”If nobody knew how many Fans you had, would you care?”
- You have to do it right
- If you do you, can make a lot of $
- Facebook is the greatest advertising platform of all time
- More narrow your audience the higher the price
- Large / international audiences are cheap
So many targeting options
- Relationship status
- Political affiliation
- income (3rd party data)
- Online behavior
- Audience insights – more specific
- Test out a lot of different targeting options
3 Types of ads on Facebook
- Newsfeed Ads
- 1% CTR
- Use when you’re in a rush to promote
- Mobile Ads
- Use only if you have a mobile optimized landing page
- 50% of traffic is now mobile
- Right column ads
- Lowest cost per click, lowest CTR .04%
- FB other audiences
You always can find your customers on facebook but the question really is should you?
- For example a Plumber should put all his efforts into SEO and Adwords first because people are more likely to google this when they look for this kind of service
Types of ads to run
- Run ads to get fans
- Never pay more than 50cents a like
- Has a like button
- Run ads on your fans
- Engage fans
- Boost posts
- Spend $1 per 1000 fans to get everyone to see your content
- Get 500- 1000 fans via advertising
The Viral Nature Of Social Media
- Reason why – it’s the largest Social Network, ever.
- Here’s why this is important – it collects data on your audience.
- You have the most targeted advertising platform, ever.
- Reason why – It’s a young social network with a mostly young audience.
- Here’s why this is important – advertising is still very new in Instagram and the engagement is still very high.
- You can grow and audience now that will keep you in business for years to come.
Something Else “LIVE”
Launch with a Campaign
- To Grow audience quickly launch your page with a campaign.
- Let people know what you are all about
- Like my page for _______ benefit
- Grow audience with a goal
“An individual artist needs only a thousand true fans in her tribe. It’s enough.”
― Seth Godin, Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
Types of Campaigns
- Book launch
- Video series
- Viral press release
- Contest domination app
- Viral contest app
- Users accumulate points for sharing your contest which can earn them more entries
- Look for virality ways to get people to share
- Make sure the prize is relevant for your prospects
- Create a Viral loop
- Incentivise viewers to take the desired action and share, comment and like your content
- 20% will share when you ask
- Viral contest with a benefit to share like more chances to win
- Free book just pay shipping
- Lose money on the front end Upsell people on programs on the back end
Viral Press Release
- What part have the most shares
- Embed tweet into post
- Utilizing special media
- Use viral nature of social media
- Engagement on Twitter is dropping but I think Twitter will make a comeback soon
- Use embedded Instagram and twitter on your press releases
- Engagement on Instagram is high
- Like, share and comment below
- Get viral reach
- Don’t just run ads to get clicks. Think about how you can get people to share
- Turn a live event into a free video series
- Create a screencast
- iPhone cam with tripod
Add the like button box to your website
- Put it at the top of your website instead of the social media icons
- How to add a like button
What platforms should you use?
- Ads not as good
- They don’t collect as much data off people
- Targeting is not that good because they don’t ask alot of questions.
- They use 3rd party research
- Grow your audience now and it will pay off later
- Put you link in the bio
- Click here for all my research on instagram
- Engagement is high
- It’s now owned by facebook and I trust them. They make good products
- There’s a reason why facebook paid a billion dollars for it
- Meetups and events
- Great way to grow your network and get to know your following
- Grows engagement on social media
- webinar series
- Great entertainment on Friday / Saturday nights
- Periscope is owned by Twitter
Build A Tribe
- Be extra cool in everything you do
- Make people feel happy
STEP #2 Engage Your Audience
- How often should you post?
- Popular pages should post every hour
- Smaller pages post 1-2 times a week and boost your posts
- What should you post about?
- How do you amplify your existing network?
How often should you post?
- It’s not about the time.
- It’s how long the post lives on the News Feed
- Post as often as you can
- Without annoying your fans.
- Facebook hired a psychologist and sociologist to help build this algorithm
- The word Congratulations in a comment give you an extra boost
- Relationship between people and pages
- Amount of comments, likes, links, tags, etc.
- How long ago the post was created
- 24 hours past your last engagement is when your post will become dead
What should you post about?
- Create your reality show
- Image and quotes
- These both get the most engagement on facebook
Create reality show
- Post about things happening in your life
- Gets real engagement
- every celebrity does this
- Don’t just share an article. Share your opinion on it and tell a story about how it relates to you
How to amplify your reach to your network?
- Boosts all posts
- boost it for $1 to your fans
- Clicking on whitespace counts as engagement
- Facebook likes ads that get more engagement
- If you boost your posts then only post 2x weekly
- Boost it so all your fans will see it
- Don’t ever post things without boosting unless you have a crazy amount of fans
- If you have a lot of fans just post every hour
The difference between Ad manager & Boost
- have to create 2 campaigns in ad manager
- 1 to Target fans and other to target friends of fans
“Before you post ANYTHING asked yourself: How will my audience respond to this?”
- Readers response theory
STEP #3 Convert your audience
- How do you create a compelling offer?
- How much should you price your offer?
- How do you get high conversions?
How do you create a compelling Offer?
Create Something New
- use the word new in your marketing
- If something is new people think they have to have it
- everyone wants something new
- This works. Why do you think Groupon is so popular
- people love deals
- Apple never discounts its products they just create a new product every year and relies on scarcity. You think a company like apple can’t make enough iPhones for everyone. They do this on purpose.
2 ways to create scarcity
- limited time
- Remind people time is running out for the sale
- Scarcity creates lots of sales
- Give a huge discount
- Converts like crazy
- Might break even or lose some money in the short term
- Think about the lifetime value of the customer
- Get 100 new customers.
- 30 will become loyal customers
How much should you price your offer?
- free trial
- get charged 14 days later
- Use risk reversal
How do you get high conversions?
- Same benefit statement, colors, Language
- Same design and message
- “Whatever a user EXPECTS to happen next, needs to happen next.”
- Don’t make them feel like they are in the wrong place
- Don’t confuse people
- People still don’t know how to use the internet
- They will give up and leave if it’s too difficult
- Make it clear, make it simple
- Use simple language like you’re talking to a 10-year-old
Nathan does really great work! He’s easy to work with & always reliable to get things done on time. I first hired Nathan to create graphics for my Internet Masterminds event and then I hired him to create an animation that was played on the display screens at Science World during our 4 Steps to Social Media Profits event. Nathan also connect me with his business partner who shot a promo video at the event. I’d recommend Nathan to anyone looking to get graphics or animations for your business.
- Meetup Group
- Linked In
- Facebook Page
- Social Media Director Program
- Social Media Director
- Facebook for Brands workshop
Other Talks by Matt Astifan
- 10 Ways To Grow Your Business On Facebook – Matt Astifan
- 10 Tactful Ways to Use Your Personal Facebook Profile As A Marketing Tool – Matt Astifan